- If your expecting bronzed and oiled butt cheeks on show at the beach, you may be disappointed. For thong-spotting, you’d be better served in Brazil.
- Similarly, you will be surprised to find Chilenas do not possess “mamacita” hourglass figures. Try Colombia.
- If your after tropical days and warm beaches, you will be baffled by Chile’s freezing cold waters and icy breezes. Maybe Ecuador?
- If your idea of culture is panpipes and ponchos, you will find them in Bolivia.
- There are no archaelogical sites of great mention. The best options are in Peru.
- Ready to dance the night away to salsa? Not all Chileans like to dance and when they do its usually to cumbia, reggaeton or rock.
- Think Latin America and spicy food? Bar pebre and merken (both sublimely delicious!), Chilean food tends towards salty or sweet, rather than picante.
- The reality: Santiago is a costly place to live
- Downtown Santiago is like a suburb of Sydney rather than the South American fantasy you may be picturing (but the mountains are extraordinary)
- It can be a pain in the butt to travel – Chile is HUGE!
The Reasons to Love:
- Spectacular vistas, from the extreme and arid landscapes of the desert to the utterly breathtaking and surreal open spaces of Patagonia
- Birds. It may not have a jungle, but Chile possesses a remarkable array of bird life making it a wonderful visit for ornithologists
- Stability. A thriving economy means that there are exceptional services from education to healthcare (if you pay – public leaves alot to be desired), and many work opportunities
- Lush and green spaces, tranquil and clear lakes, and friendly people in the south of Chile
- Its easy peasy to find work even without a TEFL or a valid visa!
- Wine, wine and more wine. This blog is excellent for more information
- If your interested in the unexplained, Chile has oodles of paranormal sights for you to see
- Outside of the main tourist spots, many places are relatively untouched by visitors.
- A vast diversity in culture from the Andean, the Mapuche and the lingering traces of the Fuegians
- This is a country that has inspired award-winning poets, writers and musicians over the years, and that are today still beloved by young and old. Why not come and see what all the fuss is about?